Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Don't date a girl who travels. Blech.

After a lack of good sleep last night, I woke up to see this hanging out on my facebook feed. It was posted by two very different women, but both that definitely love to travel, are young and beautiful. So manybe I'm somehow not in that boat, but I have a lot of criticisms about this whole idea.

Maybe it's along the same lines of why I dislike when women say things like, "I hang out with dudes because girls suck." There's this idea that somehow all of the other women out there fit into some mold, but not I, not someone "cool" enough to hang with guys. It puts us all back into a very misogynistic place, where being a guy is the ideal and being a stereotypical woman is the obvious lesser.

This statement of why traveling women are amazing isn't exactly the same, as it doesn't directly throw shade at women as a whole, but it sure  shows non-traveling women why they must suck. Non-traveling women: are obsessed with looking perfect, enjoy a boring date, get hung up on materialistic things, never fly to exotic places, are not at all creative.. They're stable (read: boring), they're unopinionated and they're obviously co-dependant. Only some of those truly seem like terrible things though.

Maybe my dislike for this is that I relate to a large part of the list for traveling women, but I also feel like all women do. And the bigger part is probably that I relate pretty strongly to the negative aspects of it. Namely the part about being unstable.

In September I was married, living in a small town in Thailand and had a job as a teacher in a camp working with outstanding students. By October I was officially seperated and crashing on a friend's couch, deciding whether or not to go back to work. In November I was riding on overnight buses through Burma. In December I jetted off to Hong Kong, then came back to the US. And now I'm resettling myself. Here. Where I didn't think I'd ever live again. Maybe that jam-packed few months makes me dislike this idea more than I would if I were still living the life I had a few months back.

But maybe I just think she's spewing trite hatred to those that she think are beneath her for valuing different kinds of experiences. It's probably that.

No comments:

Post a Comment